Forum How do I...?

Using bleed to force page location on paper when printing?

nightshift
I'm currently using a different html to pdf processor and have run into a problem (well, several, most of them I know prince will solve). My page size is a non-standard - 8"x10" finished - that needs to be printed on US Letter. For what I'm doing after print I need my content to be vertically centered but aligned with the inside edge. None of my pdf viewers/print driver allow this type of custom margin (browser kind of allows it if I'm using an in browser processor and printing from the html, not the pdf). So, I need to build it into the pdf. Setting page size to letter and increasing margins runs the risk of any margin content ultimately being cut off when I trim the paper down. I'm thinking instead of using bleed but not filling it with anything - something like
bleed-top: 0.5in; bleed-bottom: 0.5in; bleed-outside: 0.5in; bleed-inside: 0;
would give me the positioning. Is this something prince (currently using 15.3, hopefully the 15.4 update is available to my package manager soon) can do, and work the way I'm expecting - minus any syntax problems in my "code" that would need to be fixed?
mikeday
If you are planning on trimming the paper then yes, I think using the bleed area is perfectly reasonable? But you will need to check with the PDF viewers/printers that you are using to ensure that they handle it in the way that you expect; otherwise I think it will be necessary to try juggling margins.

By the way, what package manager are you using that doesn't know about Prince 15.4 yet?
nightshift
Thank you, I will run a couple tests.

I'm on an Arch-based Linux, where Prince is in the user maintained repository (the AUR, installed via helpers like yay) rather than the official repositories. I looked at the update history and it took about a month for the maintainer to get 15.3 in. I *do* have the 15.4 tarball if I need a feature or bug fix that is in it as a worst case scenario.
nightshift
ooops, looked a little deeper, and, it looks like bleed can't be set differently one one side than others? Or is handled like the margin shorthand?
mikeday
Sorry yes, like the margin shorthand.
nightshift
Awesome, thanks. And, yay, I tested it already, and my pdfviewer (evince) and printer do like it. I'm sure I'll be back with more questions in new topics as I work my way through updating my css.