Forum How do I...?

Print in black and white?

cayhorstmann
I have a document that my publisher wants to send to the printer. They are asking for "Output the PDFs as 1/color (black) files". (This is surely not the actual request, but I am dealing with a lossy chain of people whose job is to pass along messages.)

I know I can do this with GhostScript, but can I do it with Prince? The CSS doesn't have colors, but there are colored PNG/JPEG images in the document.
mikeday
By converting the PDF to grayscale as described here:

https://www.princexml.com/forum/topic/5009/some-pages-only-in-cmyk-black
cayhorstmann
I did that, with --convert-colors --pdf-output-intent=icc/ConvertToK_ISOcoated.icc.

The resulting file looks grayscale to me, but the publisher says: "I downloaded your latest PDFs and still see CMY values in the Output Preview used for print products. (See attached screen capture.) "

1. 06-18_file_wBlackPlate_deselected.png305.0 kB
cayhorstmann
Following a hint in https://www.princexml.com/forum/topic/5009/some-pages-only-in-cmyk-black, I was able to address this issue with no command-line options (other than -s to import the CSS) and the following directive:

@prince-pdf {
  prince-pdf-color-conversion: url("../icc/ConvertToK_ISOcoated.icc") no-embed;
}

When viewed in Acrobat Pro, the resulting document has no profile of its own and has no CMY values in any profile.

I am frankly confused by this. Wouldn't it be better if the printer, who presumably knows more than I do, to do the grayscale conversion? But they hate those ICC profiles. My publisher contact: I am getting a warning about the ICC profile, which the preflight software recommends removing since it can result in "inconsistent tones" in print.

stefan55874
You probably want to add the following to your CSS-file:
@prince-pdf {
    -prince-pdf-output-intent: url(Dot_Gain_15.icc);
}

Please use the correct path to your color profile, that contains only black-color. For me "Dot_Gain_15.icc" works perfectly, but your case may be different.
cayhorstmann
I tried that. It embeds the profile, but it doesn't force the color conversion in the file.

I assumed that it is best embed the profile, so that it can be chosen later. But in this case, I was told not to do that. Perhaps to minimize the potential for error and finger-pointing? Fortunately, the no-embed flag does the trick for my use case.