Forum How do I...?

How to enable ligatures?

AndreaCensi
Hi,

First: this is a great product! I couldn't imagine one could go as far as this with only CSS. I am on my way to ditch LaTeX; only some last barriers remain, such as ligatures.

I read all the posts regarding ligatures, but there must be something I am missing.

In the simple html file attached, the font is set to Times. I expect to see a ligature for "fi".

Opera, Safari, and Chrome show the ligature. However, Prince does not show the "fi" ligature.

I am on OS X with the latest version of Prince.

I have tried all the examples in the previous posts on the topic and couldn't see any ligature
(I tried all the ones for which I had the font - e.g. a post mentioned the Pona font, and that I couldn't try).

Thanks,
A.

attached:

test_ligatures.html : source file
test_ligatures.pdf : created by Prince
safari.png: how it appears in Safari (and Chrome, Opera)

1. safari.png11.1 kB
  2. test_ligatures.html0.2 kB
  3. test_ligatures.pdf8.7 kB
mikeday
Prince supports OpenType substitutions for ligatures, but maybe the Times font on MacOS X uses the Apple Advanced Typography (AAT) format for this instead, which Prince does not support. Perhaps you could try a web font, which typically use OpenType for compatibility with other platforms?
dauwhe
Ligatures work well for us with most commercial and open-source OpenType fonts. We tend to avoid default system fonts, as they are less predictable.